Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Post Op Day 7

Zoey is a fighter that is for sure! She has fought and fought going to sleep. She only slept 4 hours last night and didn't take a single nap today. They even did a "sedated" echo today. They gave her a full dose of morfine, and a double dose of a sedation medicine (and I can't remember the name of that med) and she still never fell asleep for her "sedated" echo. She was calm and loopy though with the meds. After the echo was over, I was rocking her on my lap and after a few minutes she looked up at me and with the most suprised tone and look on her face she waved to me and said, "Hhhiii." It was so funny!
By 7 she finally gave in and fell asleep. She had gone 37 hours with only 6 hours of sleep. She was exhausted!
We were supposed to be transferred out of the ICU today, but we are still here. They just don't have enough beds upstairs, otherwise we would be up there. There is still a chance we will be transferred later tonight though.
I did find out today that she will come home on oxygen. This will be a long term thing. I will admit, I was disappointed when I found this out. It will be ok though, it will just take time to get used to. It is a small sacrifice to have her on oxygen for a year or more to have a two ventricle heart. We are so grateful for our miracle.

PS-I keep getting worse, I didn't even take any pics today!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Thanks for the updates Rachel! I hope she starts sleeping soon! Although I can't blame her. Sleeping in a hopsital can be really hard sometimes. Hugs!

Dalling Family said...

She is a fighter! That's a long time w/o much sleep. Will the oxygen be a round the clock thing, or just part time throughout the day?

Team Beardshall said...

Agreed, thank you so much for the updates. I hope she got a good amount of sleep when she finally got to that point! I have been dying to give you your cake smash pics, are you guys home this weekend? Email me at amybeardshall@hotmail and I will reply with some of them at least....they are SO cute! Let us know if there is anything that you need!